You are here:


The University of Utah is located in the neighborhood of Songdo (송도), in the city of Incheon (인천). Songdo is a new smart city built on reclaimed land along the waterfront of Incheon. The neighborhood’s location provides easy access to the airport and to Seoul. In the neighborhood, you will find excellent restaurants, beautiful parks, and good transportation options. As the city is still growing, it provides an excellent place to study in a quiet environment while still having easy access to major attractions in Seoul.

Administrative Divisions in Korea

There are numerous administrative divisions in Korea that may be helpful to know as you navigate your way around the country. See the list below, ordered from largest to smallest. There are numerous other administrative divisions in Korea, but these are the most common that you will encounter.

Type of Division

Korean Name





경기도 (Gyeonggi-do)



인천시 (Incheon-si)



연수구 (Yeonsu-gu)



송도동 (Songdo-dong)

Once you arrive at Incheon International Airport, there are many ways for you to travel to campus.


As you exit the airport terminal and look for signs which will point you to where taxis can be found. A taxi to campus will cost around 40,000 KRW. Tell the driver that you would like to go to the Incheon Global Campus or show them the address below. It will take about 30 minutes of driving time.

The address in Korean is:

인천광역시 연수구 송도동 문화로 119



Take the Korean Air limousine bus (#6707) at Gate 4A on the first floor

Fare: 7,000 Korean won

Time of departure: Every 20-50 minutes from 5:53-22:11 (duration: approx. 40 minutes)

The schedule can be found here:KAL Limousine Schedule

The bus will make several stops before you should get off. Bus route: Gate 4A, Incheon International Airport → Hyatt Hotel → Inha International Medical Center → Korea Coast Guard → Orakai Songdo Park Hotel → Songdo Central Park/Central Park Station(Incheon Metro Line 1) → Holiday Inn Songdo Hotel → Incheon University Station Exit 1 → Oakwood Premier Incheon Hotel → Sheraton Incheon Hotel → Korea Coast Guard → Incheon International Airport

You can get off at Incheon University Station Exit 1 and take the subway to Technopark Station (2 stops). We are about a 10 minute walk from Technopark, passing through or alongside the Triple Street Mall.

Alternately, you can get off at the Songdo Sheraton Hotel and take a taxi, which will take about 5-10 minutes.

The Alien Registration Card (ARC) is similar to a social security number and is the most used form of identification in Korea. Any non-Korean citizen staying for more than 90 days is required to obtain an ARC. An appointment is necessary before visiting the immigration office. Shortly after you arrive on campus, UAC staff will arrange a date and time for international students to get their ARCs.

The application must be filed within 90 days of arrival into Korea.

Documents to submit:

  • Application
  • Passport
  • 1 color photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
  • Verification of Enrollment
  • 30,000 KRW (fee-subject to change)
  • Copy of UAC Business Registration
  • Residence Confirmation Form

The registration card can be picked up or mailed back to you (4000 KRW fee, cash only).

Incheon Immigration Branch

Phone: +82-32-890-6305~6 Address: Incheon-si Jung-gu Hangdong 7-ga 1-31 (Seohae-ro 213)

Dongincheon Station (Seoul Subway Line 1), Exit 4. Walk out from Dongincheon underground shopping district, Exit 8. Take Bus 12 or 24 at Dongincheon Station Bus Stop to immigration office.

If you have questions regarding the ARC application process, contact Alexis Choi, UAC Enrollment Coordinator (

“The IGC Health Center is the first stop for students, staff, and faculty who feel unwell. The campus nurse will be able to assist you in getting the care you need. The UAC also employs a mental health therapist who is available for all students.

International students on D-2 student visas who will be at the UAC for more than one semester are required to obtain Korean National Health Insurance. UAC staff assists students with enrolling in coverage once they become eligible (after 90 days in Korea). For the first 90 days, all incoming international students on D-2 visas are automatically enrolled in a comprehensive, private policy which covers them should they become ill. Both the private policy and the Korean National Health Insurance are highly affordable.”

In order to take advantage of some services in Korea, you must have a Korean phone number. You will be able to get a Korean phone number after receiving your Alien Registration Card (ARC) after about one month in the country.

Prior to getting your ARC and being able to register for a Korean phone plan, there are a few options for how you can remain connected:

Use your home country phone. You can continue to use your phone from home and either pay international roaming charges or turn off roaming and data and only use your phone when you have access to wifi. Our entire campus is wifi capable and you will frequently find wifi available at off-campus locations, as well.
Purchase a SIM card. If your cell phone is unlocked, you can purchase a temporary SIM card using your passport as ID. SIM cards can be purchased at the airport on arrival, at most convenience stores (7-11, CU, and GS25), and online from several different phone providers. Cost will vary depending upon your needs, but generally this is an affordable temporary solution.
Rent a wifi egg. There are several companies in Korea that rent portable wifi eggs to travelers and visitors. These typically cost about 8,000 KRW and also require a deposit of approximately 200,000 KRW. These companies have kiosks in the airport where you can get specific information about this rental.
Rent a phone. Rental phones are available at the Incheon International Airport on the first and third floors. If you need a phone but do not have an Alien Registration Card, this may be the ideal solution to tide you over until you are issued an ARC.

The D-2 student visa allows you to work up to 20 hours on- of off-campus (up to 30 hours for graduate students) provided you have obtained a work permit. While it may be difficult to find an off-campus job without speaking Korean, there are plenty of opportunities both at the UAC and within the IGC.
 Yes. There are a number of ways to transfer money internationally. The Student Affairs Office assists all international students with setting up a Korean bank account, to which you can link your bank account from your home country. This will enable you to send money out of Korea via a simple online transfer. To send money from your home country to your Korean bank account, you may use your home bank’s wiring service or an external service. There are many mobile apps which work in Korea that will enable you to transfer money between accounts for a fee.

Sending and receiving mail in Korea is simple and affordable. Each student on campus is issued a mailbox in the dormitory. Envelopes and small pieces of mail will be put into your mailbox, while larger parcels will be held with the security guard in your residence hall until you pick them up.

Outgoing mail should be taken to the post office. There are two convenient locations in Songdo where you can mail postcards, letters, and packages both domestically and abroad.

Yonsei University Location

Downtown Songdo Location

For more information on mail services in Korea, visit the Korea Post website.

Last Updated: 9/20/18